The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

This post was updated on .
Often when someone asks for a design, it seems to my possibly biased mind that their parameters fit perfectly into some notion that has already been subjected to my questionable abilities as a designer.

So out of unrestrained altruism (and other tosh), I keep peddling my wares on the forum here and the longer serving members at least, must be truly fed up with the repeats. The answer is to have a file available that those bold enough to ask for opinions can be referred to, without having to reiterate the same old stuff to the rest of the gang.  I can’t really find a suitable heading under which to promulgate this, but reckon to throw in ‘Octavia’ under “For Sale/Wanted/Recycling” as, for a subject heading it looks half starved, poor thing.  I did originally write her up when this forum was still on Yahoo, but that requires some chasing, so here is a précis:

‘Octavia’ is a (smidge less than) sixteen foot, single-chine, rowing skiff.  I chose a canoe bow and a wine-glass transom; the latter at least, went quite technical on me and simpler ends can be cut in to suit your taste:

Apologies to the photographer in the 'transom' picture - I am unable to identify you to give credit as due.

The hull is formed from eight, identical half-planks, cut from two sheets of standard 4mm ply with minimal waste and the third sheet in my version has gone to make up bulkheads, decks and side tanks:

My version has side tanks in the forward section, so that the oarsman's seat can be slid from amidships to well up forward, and the outriggers reversed, creating two rowing positions, so that an occasional passenger is possible; she also comes apart amidships for storage and to make a useful overnight shelter after a day on the water. The ensuing reinforced double-bulkhead and rather heavy, outrigger ‘wings’, to take the rowlocks, do add to her weight:

She is no slouch and my neck is no longer amazingly supple, so she tends to get to stuff before I am really ready to avoid it. Further I only have one life and the current fleet stands at six small boats, in various stages of decrepitude.

So I have given up rowing her in favour of facing forward in my latest invention and this time next year she will be old enough to duck under the EU fence and on the market for whatever she is worth to anybody.

Anybody?

Re: The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

Sorry to stuff people about - got into a wrong button situation

I'm in edit mode again, adding a couple of better pictures of the side tanks/oarsman's seat arrangement forward

Re: The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

Just to keep the story up to date

'Octavia' has been sold to one of our number and is going down to live in Weymouth this very weekend.

Christo the W

Re: The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

Sure you're sad to see her go, I'll miss following that transom!

Glad she's off to a good home.

Tim.

On 8 Jul 2014, at 10:45, Chris Waite [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just to keep the story up to date

'Octavia' has been sold to one of our number and is going down to live in Weymouth this very weekend.

Christo the W

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/The-Three-Sheets-Rowing-Skiff-tp4026174p4027731.html
To start a new topic under For Sale/Wanted/Recycling, email [hidden email]

Phil Robinson Phil Robinson

Re: The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

Quick update on Octavia.

She is now fitted with a sliding seat/gates and macon sculls and has been "clocked" at around 6knots which is not too shabby.

At 6 knots there were a few issues with stability as she had a tendency to take a sharp unexpected turn :-) due to too much power v short waterline. To get over this a small rudder has been fitted based on a pilot gig design and looks good without too much impact to her lines. This has a camlock rope system to adjust steering when in a cross wind and gives great tracking at 6 knots.

I will try and post some pictures later but rest assured she is seeing plenty of weekly use and is well maintained.

Phil Robinson

PS Anyone want to build a double sliding seat version at 20 feet? :-))))))

Re: The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

Excellent Phil!

I had been wondering how you were getting on with her and it's really pleasing to know that she's going like a train and often at that.  Is she still a two-piece boat, or did you fix the two parts together when you converted her to the sliding-seat configuration?

So much better than having her lurking forever in the garage here

I await the pictures

Chris W.
Phil Robinson Phil Robinson

Re: The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

Still able to take apart though now has the addition of SS wing bolts to keep her together under a bit of load :-).

Now looking for a double sliding seat skiff so Kay can join in the "fun" (sweat).

So if you hear of anything let me know :-)

Did wonder if it was possible to make Octavia a 3 part with the addition of a centre section :-)

Hope you are well and will endeavour to get some pictures.

Kind regards

Phil

Re: The 'Three Sheets Rowing Skiff'

Sorry Phil

I didn't see this when it went up on the forum - think it may have been the weekend I actually went sailing.

I have the impression you were rather less than serious about putting a centre section in Octavia.  The real problem of course is that at the joint all the pieces are pretty much parallel with the fore and aft line, so any mid-section would only fit properly if it was entirely straight sided and bottomed.

I never know how people manage to saw boats in half, extend them and expect the lines not to look decidedly lumpy.

Hey Ho!

Chris