Trip down the Wye 2017

tonywall tonywall

Trip down the Wye 2017

Hello to you all. It is a long time since I have written here. I see that a lot of the usual suspects are still around and doing Thames raids, Cobnor, the broad, etc., etc.. It is good to see. I have a question for you involving a row down the Wye in September in a Thames skiff (24 feet long) and a Joel White "Shearwater" faering (16 feet). It is a short trip of two nights/three days with absolutely no camping (thank goodness). The question is: how far is it safe to go down in the tidal section? Originally, we were going to ride the 6-8 ebb tide below Brockweir and go at least as far as Chepstow, possibly as far as Beachley. The last mile, I am told, would be against the tide because the slipway is in the Severn estuary itself - "only possible thanks to an eddy". This sounds rather frightening because we will not be equipped for an Irish Sea crossing. The problem, we are told, is that there is no suitable slipway with vehicle access between Brockweir and Beachley. Do any of you know otherwise? Any experience amongst you all of the river below Brockweir, which as things stand now will be our extraction point? It is a bit of a cheek asking you when it is not an HBBR trip but perhaps for old times sake......(?) I was very disappointed to have missed Beale Park this year (Tim, how did it go?) but I was on another continent at the time. Best wishes to everyone, especially those I have been with during on a raid, Tony Waller

RE: Trip down the Wye 2017

Hi Tony,
I'm camping at the DCA Cobnor week with  several of the usual HBBR suspects. The weather has been excellent, having a great time. I can't help with advice on the Wye but it's great to hear you are planning new adventures. Have fun.
Regards Graham.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- tonywall [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote ----

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Trip-down-the-Wye-2017-tp4030321.html
To start a new topic under Introduce Yourself, email [hidden email]

Re: Trip down the Wye 2017

I don't know that bit of the water well, but the prudent course might be to time your arrival for slack water? (If there is any - I know that bit of the river can run very fast indeed; the old ferries sometimes came in at 45 degrees to the slip to deal with the current)

Simon
Steve Brown Steve Brown

Re: Trip down the Wye 2017

Hi Tony,
I do a bit of canoeing on the river Wye, but have not ventured onto the tidal part yet, but looked at it several times.
Between Bigsweir Bridge and Brockweir Bridge the river gets tidal and getting your canoe out is a very slippery and muddy affair as the banks are quite steep.
There is a slipway at Chepstow, just past The Boat public house, but it is very steep and muddy.
Chepstow boat club have a pontoon at the Boat Public House. To find this go past Chepstow Castle which is on your right, go under the old A48 Road Bridge and the Boat pub is about 200 yards on your right.
You need to contact them as the access Gate is locked (contact the secretary of Chepstow Boat Club, Christine Norman on 01291 624 897).
This will be your best 'get out' point as the next will be Beachley Slipway, which is an excellent slipway used by SARA.  But once you leave the Wye and enter the Severn, an incoming and outgoing tide can reach over 7 knots.  Hardly any slack water on the Severn.
There is some useful information in the book - "Canoeists Guide, to the river Wye" by the environment agency, which is available on the internet.
Hope this bit of info will be of help to you.
Have a good trip
Steve.
tonywall tonywall

Re: Trip down the Wye 2017

Many thanks to Simon and Steve for the info. VERY much appreciated. Greetings to Graham - good to hear from you. TonyW

Re: Trip down the Wye 2017

SARA (Severn Area Rescue Assoc) might be a good source of very local information. After all they don't want to have to rescue you!

Simon