VanTastic

Not wanting to hi-jack CWs Van Blanc thread, I will move my project comments to here.

Re: VanTastic

This post was updated on .
Guess what. Dilys and myself are going to a camper van show in Cheltenham today. She will be looking for nice curtains....I just want a towbar

Re: Van Blanc

Careful...  curtains and towbars can come attached to vans, makes them easier to bring home!

On 6 May 2016, at 11:38, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Guess what. Dilys and myself are going to a camper van show in Cheltenham today. She will be looking for nice curtains....I just want a towbar

-Paul
Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.co.uk

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Van-Blanc-tp4027058p4029419.html
To start a new topic under Technical/Eco Forum, email [hidden email]

Re: VanTastic

This post was updated on .
Timmo wrote
Careful...  curtains and towbars can come attached to vans, makes them easier to bring home!
Well we got bitten by the bug! (again). We've wanted a surf van since the 80s when I windsurfed, but mortgage then kids got in the way. The kids can all drive now.

We liked the layout of this one:

Accommodation at one end. Swivel seats are amazing:

Bathroom and cooking the other end near the side door:

Just £25k for a 2008 model.   A bit too wide at 2.2m and un-aerodynamic, and no where to fit an 8x4 sheet in because it's a caravan body on a van chassis. Also nowhere to hide anchors, wet rope, outboards, paddles, wheel jacks, trailer spares and best of all an electric winch.

I prefer SWB van conversions for parking, modern engines and more aerodynamic lines. The plastic coated wood in any shape as long as its a box doesn't look appealing. Birch ply is used a lot but the grain is always hidden. Converted VW vans are a rip-off, that VW badge is worth up to £10k, literally.

But there are some nice details around. Like this laminated-ply aircraft style overhead locker that adds loads of room without encroaching into "head space":

I concluded that CWs approach is better, good low mileage vans area about £8k to £10k. There are lots of companies that will fit anything you want during a conversion. Windows in one day, insulation, 3mm carpet ply panels, CNC cut ply for van floors, gas heaters and on and on.

The Peugeot Boxer is popular with 1.9m interior height, which allows 30mm of Celotex insulation to be glued to the roof. Walls typically silvered bubble wrap, then glass fibre then internal vapor barrier, floors silvered bubble wrap to fill the grooves then ply. Insulation, more insulation and even more insulation!

As for shower trays, my Eureka moment was "think of a boat inside out". 9mm ply box with 4-6in sides, epoxied then 2 pack undercoat then 2 pack white topcoat. Walls can overlap the sides, no thin plastic that will crack when you drop an anchor on it. How else do you clean them?

Re: Van Blanc

This post was updated on .
You resisted! Welll done.

Enjoy planning your conversion. Our camper is based on a Boxer van and we've no complaints, runs well and economically. Also fits 20 8x4 sheets of 9mm ply with ease.

> On 10 May 2016, at 22:52, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] <ml-node+s967333n4029435h98@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
>
> Timmo wrote
> Careful...  curtains and towbars can come attached to vans, makes them easier to bring home!
> Well we got bitten by the bug! (again). We've wanted a surf van since the 80s when I windsurfed, but mortgage then kids got in the way. The kids can all drive now.

Re: VanTastic

This post was updated on .
20 sheets - Nirvana!

They were supported vertically yes? I imagine you need to have access from the rear doors, and slide the sheets in vertically between the furniture. Perhaps moving them flush up to the bulkhead behind the driver's seat?
I reject any layout that does not allow access from the rear. Also in two minds about a shower, because it needs large water tank, large waste water tank and a fancy heater which won't give much change out of £500

My plan is to use 24V heating elements (ebay) in a custom ply tank lined with 2 pack undercoat, full of water. (Jotun Penguard HB primer is suitable for lining potable water tanks).

Then solar panels can heat it during the day, or when driving as the alternator can produce 60+ Amps or at a campsite with electric hook up; therefore only solar and mains electric heating of water. Well insulated with Celotex it could slowly heat up the water during the day.

Re: VanTastic

This post was updated on .
Long wheelbase (so plenty of room behind front seats) and a rear bathroom, shower one side, loo the other so with bathroom door open there's access right up the middle of the van from the rear doors. So sheets are indeed slid in vertically between the furniture. Would have taken more if necessary.

She's shifted a lot of stuff since we got her!

Our shower heater is gas operated when static and electric when the engine's running. Though I do like your solar idea. You will need water and waste water capacity if the shower is to be fully plumbed in and, even then, you'll need to fill the water tank every two to three days if the shower is used twice daily. However, I did have a van once where I dropped a caravan immersible pump connected to a shower head into a bucket of water brought to the right temperature by chucking a kettleful of boiling water in with the cold. Always got a satisfactory shower before the bucket ran dry provided I used the standard water saving practice of shutting off the shower while soaping (you could see the water in the bucket go down and time ablutions accordingly.) Was very simple, could be used outside the van in an old fashioned toilet tent we had just as easily as inside (more so) and could be packed away in a locker when not in use. Was also often easier to fill a bucket than it is to fill the van tank.

How much space, fittings and energy you devote to installing, accomodating and powering the shower will depend on how often it will be used! Kate is a hot shower every morning person or she's not going! So ours is a high priority item. We chose the van for the shower, the rest just came with it. Not everyone places such a high value on the item!

Tim.

> On 11 May 2016, at 13:05, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] <ml-node+s967333n4029437h60@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
>
> 20 sheets - Nirvana!
>
> They were supported vertically yes? I imagine you need to have access from the rear doors, and slide the sheets in vertically between the furniture. Perhaps moving them flush up to the bulkhead behind the driver's seat?
> I reject any layout that does not allow access from the rear. Also in two minds about a shower, because it needs large water tank, large waste water tank and a fancy heater, which won't much change out of £500
>
> My plan is to use 24V heating elements (ebay) in a custom ply tank lined with 2 pack undercoat, full of water. (Jotun Penguard HB primer is suitable for lining potable water tanks).
>
> Then solar panels can heat it during the day, or when driving as the alternator can produce 60+ Amps or at a campsite with electric hook up; therefore only solar and mains electric heating of water. Well insulated with Celotex it could slowly heat up the water during the day.
>
> -Paul
> Sail when you can, motor when you can't http://www.millibee.co.uk <http://www.millibee.co.uk/>

> http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Van-Blanc-tp4027058p4029437.html <http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Van-Blanc-tp4027058p4029437.html>
> To start a new topic under Technical/Eco Forum, email ml-node+s967333n2965194h27@n3.nabble.com
> NAML <http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: VanTastic

On 11 May 2016 at 5:05, Paul (admin) [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> My plan is to use 24V heating elements (ebay) in a custom ply tank
> lined with 2 pack undercoat, full of water. (Jotun Penguard HB primer
> is suitable for lining potable water tanks).
>
> Then solar panels can heat it during the day, or when driving as the
> alternator can produce 60+ Amps or at a campsite with electric hook
> up; therefore only solar and mains electric heating of water. Well
> insulated with Celotex it could slowly heat up the water during the
> day.

Remember there is masses of waste heat available from the engine when
it is running.

In my Mini I had a small water jacket on a short length of copper
pipe fitted into the heater pipe. This heated water in a small tank
which provided water hot enough to make coffee and was great for
heating cans of soup, beans etc.

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor only
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law