Voice from the Colonies

Rob Blackburn Rob Blackburn

Voice from the Colonies

Hello,

I have been lurking around here for a while fascinated by Katie Beardie. I have been bugging Graham a bit and in the end have started to build an Antipodean Version.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110995359000842821835/KatieBeardieSailingCanoeBuild

Here is as far as I have got.

It was suggested a bit of a bio so here goes.

We live in Lennox Head, Australia, near Byron Bay, the most easterly point.
We started off with a Norwalk Island Sharpie 26 some years ago but I have been trying to forget that one. Too hard on every point. Far too big and difficult.

We now have a Core Sound 20 which we have had turned into a Marconi rig via a sail plan drawn by John Welsford. The Cat Ketch was good but the reefing got a bit dodgy for short handed sailing I felt.
We trail her to the bottom of Tasmania every 2 years and participate in the Tawe Nunnugah sailing raid
it is great fun and a great bunch of people.

2015 shots of boats
https://picasaweb.google.com/110995359000842821835/TAWE2015PHOTOSOFBOATS
2013 shots
https://picasaweb.google.com/110995359000842821835/TAWENUNNUGAH2013OurStory

Last year I built a Ross Lillistone Flint and put a Hobie Adventure Island rig on it.
It is a nice little boat that is easy to setup and sail and reef and row. One man escape machine that can be launched and enjoyed in minutes.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9IPlqELl7dfanN3YVlWczZIenc&usp=sharing

Otherwise I feel as if I am no different to all the other people I read about on this site. :)

We love small boats, camping and generally getting out and about.

I will put up the link to the Katie Beardie build in the other section on the site.

Cheers

Rob Blackburn

ps… these photos are on Google Drive and the sharing is set to public I am pretty sure. It makes my head hurt this stuff.

pps ... we lived in England in the 80's and simply loved the joint, pubs, beers etc

Re: Voice from the Colonies

Very good to hear from the other side of the world.

The Tasmania raid looks excellent. Some superb water and coast to explore.

Look forward to seeing a second Katie Beardie take to the water.

Tim.

On 18 May 2015, at 10:50, Rob Blackburn [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Voice-from-the-Colonies-tp4028758.html
To start a new topic under Introduce Yourself, email [hidden email]

Re: Voice from the Colonies

I'm glad Rob has owned up to his latest build, I've been bustin to tell for the last couple of weeks.
Looks like he's making a fine job of it, and he's far enough away if it all goes wrong.
Which of course it won't, because I've made most of the cockups already.
Just don't drop her onto the garage floor like I did.