Windsurf Masts going spare?

The Spring is sprung (almost).
The grass is definitely ris.
It is about this time of year, normally a month later but we seem to be going for an early start, that a not so young man's thoughts extend to preparing his craft for the coming season.
Then he realises its only four weeks until Barton and he hasn't got a boat.
Coot is getting rubbed down ready for a makeover but at the current rate of progress will be lucky to be ready by Cobnor, so Katie B must needs be made ready to take the long haul to Norfolk. Thankfully she goes on the roof so I won't have to bounce the trailer all the way round the M25.
Katie's designer, and I are keen to get her under sail at last which leads me eventually to spars.

I am looking for a couple or three old windsurfing masts. I don't care if they are GRP, one piece or two, stiff or bendy, just so long as they are very cheap, and within collection distance of Southampton.

Thanks
Graham.

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

On 18 Mar 2015 at 10:33, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> I am looking for a couple or three old windsurfing masts. I don't care
> if they are GRP, one piece or two, stiff or bendy, just so long as
> they are very cheap, and within collection distance of Southampton.

I have a very old one, carbon I think, which you can have free. 3m
long.

If you are going to the AGM you could pick it up there.

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

I will ask if the QMSC have any more to dispose of.
Steve

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Thanks Al,
I presume you mean the DCA AGM,  I very much hope the HBBR never have one.

I've got one at the Ancient & Vulnerable next week when we all run round the table until the music stops and hope there isn't a seat on the committee left for us.

I won't be going to the DCA AGM this year, too far away, maybe fate will find a way of bringing us together.
Cheers.
BrianP BrianP

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

I have two masts, a bog standard glassfibre mast and a stiff aluminium mast (for high performance sails).

I'm keeping them because when I windsurfed in the 80s there was a chap aged 65 with a triple heart bypass handling the strong winds very well. So a few of us in our 20s pledged to take up windsurfing again aged 65!

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Hi,
Just got confirmation that there are more free ones via the QMSC, just down the road from me at TW15 1AQ
Is that any good to you?
Steve

On 18 Mar 2015 at 15:53, Port-Na-Storm [via UK HBBR Forum] wrote:

> Thanks Al,
> I presume you mean the DCA AGM,  I very much hope the HBBR never have
> one.
>
> I won't be going to the DCA AGM this year, too far away, maybe fate
> will find a way of bringing us together. Cheers.

Well, I will be at Barton Turf. If you still want it then let me
know.

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

"The designer" has an old two-piece carbon-fibre/GRP blend mast in his main store at Arundel, plus some shorty bits that might make a boom, or some such.

Further to that, there is a guy on Hayling who sells second hand stuff and also knows about the Hayling windsurfer car-boot sale that used to happen once a month:

http://www.andybiggs.co.uk/shop/second-hand-equipment

Is that worth a meeting somewhere?

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Well Chaps, my gob is truly smacked.
Where to start?

1. Thanks Brian, I had spotted those two at Lee On Solent, they are on my watch list and I might make a cheeky bid.
2. Steve, Its a bit of a hike up the M3 from here, but I hate to see a good thing go by. I have a couple of other projects in the back of my jotter where they could come in handy. Could you grab them and then we can sort out the logistics later? Maybe they could arrive by magic at Barton or Lechlade or Beale?
If not don't worry about it.
3. Al, see 2.
4. CW, we must be due a lunchtime pint so lets do that anyway and then we can sketch out sail-plans on the back of a beer mat. Here's one I did earlier.
Latest version with Brailomatic Mizzen and High Aspect Self Opinionated Main.

LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Hi,
Ok I will see what I can acquire, delivery to Letchlade is possible unless you want to collect when you are passing on the way home?
Steve
LASER41420 LASER41420

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Hi Graham,
Mission accomplished, there are 3 fiberglass masts here now with your name on them.
Steve

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Brilliant!
Thanks very much Steve, excellent service.

Graham.

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Graham, just packing for the Broads. Have you a surfeit of masts now
or do you want me to bring mine to add to your collection?

I am intending to take advantage of the (hopefully) quieter roads
over night so will probably be arriving at Barton Turf late Wed
morning, unless I stop for some sight-seeing on the way. Is anyone
else going to be there on Wednesday?

--
Sail when you can, row when you must, motor
when you have to be at work in the morning.

Alastair Law

Re: Windsurf Masts going spare?

Hi Al, I seem to have plenty of masts at the moment, so unless you are desperate to get rid of it I'd hang on to it for now, thanks.

I see on Faceache that our friends in the OCSG are expecting 40+ at Barton this weekend which should make it cosy.

Probably not the best time to be bringing an untried jury rigged homebuilt canoe that's just been dropped on the garage floor. What timing!

I expect to arrive on Thursday afternoon.

Grum.