Yost 'Sea Bee' Kayak - sort of

Whameller Whameller

Yost 'Sea Bee' Kayak - sort of

This post was updated on .
Its been a long time since I posted (not since the yahoo days I think), but then I haven't built much ...

This summer saw the completion of a Greenland style sea kayak based closely  on one of Tom Yost's (http://www.yostwerks.com/) skin on frame designs 'Sea Bee'.  However, instead of going down the SOF route, I decided (for reasons too lengthy to put in here) to plank the frame in ply which caused me to tweak the design somewhat.

The frame went together relatively smoothly, following Tom's excellent online manual:

The planking was a different issue, as I was on my own with regards guidance, but we got there in the end:

After a quick libation, she was launched on the eastern Cleddau and sea trials by the client were deemed a success:

Now the client's younger brother is demanding one of his own !  Work has started on another 'Sea Bee' frame but I think that this one will be a true SOF - I'm thinking of using flax cloth and linseed epoxy after being enthused by one of the stands at Beale Park this year.

Nick W

Updated - 21 Feb 2012

Work is progressing well (if not fast !) on the second Yost 'Sea Bee'.  Here are a few photos:

She is skinned in 12oz canvas, using the Percy Blandford method - then painted with marine varnish (6+ coats so far on the hull. The deck & coaming are also now on; photos to follow soon.

And here they are:

Finally finished her this weekend:

The deck lines still need proper whipping together (whipping twine is in my other workshop 190 miles away !), so cable ties are making do until just before sea trials at Easter.

Nick

Nick
gmatkin gmatkin

Re: Yost 'Sea Bee' Kayak - sort of

When I click the like I can't see anything that corresponds to what you describe - just a page telling me I need to log in to something. Is that correct?

Gavin

There is a blog of the build here: http://backyardboatbuilding.org.uk/forums/entry.php?86-The-Yost-SOF-Kayak-Build-Part-2

Now the client's younger brother is demanding one of his own !  Work has started on another 'Sea Bee' frame but I think that this one will be a true SOF - I'm thinking of using flax cloth and linseed epoxy after being enthused by one of the stands at Beale Park this year.

Nick W

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/Yost-Sea-Bee-Kayak-sort-of-tp3469123p3469123.html

gmatkin gmatkin

Re: Yost 'Sea Bee' Kayak - sort of

Here's what it says:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

However, I can't see a selection of forums - or am I missing something?

Gavin

Whameller Whameller

Re: Yost 'Sea Bee' Kayak - sort of

The BYBB Site Admin is very security conscious, having been badly burned by experiences with some former members.  It appears that the blogs are now only visible to registered BYBB forum members.

 Apologies for thereby inadvertently posting what amounts to a duff link !   If there is an appetite for more on the build process here on HBBR, I can always post some more photos & text.

Nick W
Whameller Whameller

Re: Yost 'Sea Bee' Kayak - sort of

I've updated the gallery with a few photos of my (slow) progress with the second SOF kayak.

Nick
Whameller Whameller

Re: Yost 'Sea Bee' Kayak - sort of

I've finally finished her - photos above.  Sea trials at Easter on the Cleddau.  I've deleted the dodgy link to my blog on BYBB UK - half of the blog was lost in a recent hack attack anyway.  I'm gradually reinstating the full blog on Blogspot - 'Small Boats from Small Garages'.

Nick