email subscription/posting still strange

Forthsailoar Forthsailoar

email subscription/posting still strange

I'm subscribed to the forum and have been getting messages by email.

Sent a test photo from my Iphone, but it hasn't been sent out to me by email.

If I look at the thread on the forum, I'm invited to subscribe to it - but I thought I was already subscribed to the forum!

The email address I used to post was: ml-node+1558041-694937563-217489@n3.nabble.com

which I picked up from the footer of message from the forum that I received.
Forthsailoar Forthsailoar

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

But I gave received the message below by email. Weird.

Osbert

On 27 Sep 2010, at 09:35, "Forthsailoar [via HBBR Forum]"<[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm subscribed to the forum and have been getting messages by email.

Sent a test photo from my Iphone, but it hasn't been sent out to me by email.

If I look at the thread on the forum, I'm invited to subscribe to it - but I thought I was already subscribed to the forum!

The email address I used to post was: [hidden email]

which I picked up from the footer of message from the forum that I received.

To start a new topic under HBBR Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from HBBR Forum, click here.

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

Hi Osbert,

On 27 Sep 10 09:47 "Forthsailoar [via HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:

> But I gave received the message below by email. Weird.

I have sometimes failed to get a mailed copy of a message I sent to a
forum.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I think it's something to do with
whether you're logged in on the forum at the time that you send a
message or when the forum admin is doing things at the same time.

And admin is very active during this testing phase, so things are not
behaving consistently. :-)

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

Hi Osbert,

On 27 Sep 10 09:35 "Forthsailoar [via HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:

> If I look at the thread on the forum, I'm invited to subscribe to it
> - but I thought I was already subscribed to the forum!

I have noticed that inconsistency. I am subscribed at the root level
and that subscribes me to all sub-forums and all individual topics
within them.

It seems that doing this does not give you a subscribed setting for an
individual sub-forum or topic, which is somewhat counter intuitive.

It also seems that you can't subscribe at the root level and then
exclude a single sub-forum by unsubscribing from it.

But a minor issue, I think.

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

I think that subscribing to a forum is for new topics only - that is
common behaviour for forums.

Thereafter you choose to subscribe to a topic when you reply (not sure
about email replies)

And you subscribe to a combination of forums (and sub-forums). You
must subscribe to each one that interests you - there is no "subscribe
to everything" command.

Forthsailoar Forthsailoar

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

> You
> must subscribe to each one that interests you - there is no "subscribe
> to everything" command.

I think this could be a major blockage for people who habitually use email.

So to see what's new I need to visit the site, then choose what interesting threads to follow? Not going to happen from my iPhone. (not a criticism, just that following lists is something I do in spare moments, not while at the computer. I'm on the bus now!)

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

Hi Osbert,

> > You must subscribe to each one that interests you - there is no
> > "subscribe to everything" command.

Paul has this wrong.

As I pointed out yesterday:

# Subscribe at the forum level and you get everything from every
forum.
# Subscribe at the sub-forum level and you get everything from that
sub-forum.
# Subscribe at the topic level and you get everything from that topic.

What I pointed out somewhere this morning, is that having subscribed
at the forum level, it does not switch on subscription at a lower
level and you'll still appear unscribied if you check the [Option]
button at the lower level. Nevertheless you will be receiving messages
posted at that level, because of your higher level subscription.

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com
A Boating Biography
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com
Celebrating the SeaHawk!

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

I stand corrected - but the behaviour of sub-forums is indeed misleading.

Greg, we need to update the How to I Subscribe by Email sticky.

> Paul has this wrong.
>
> As I pointed out yesterday:
>
> # Subscribe at the forum level and you get everything from every
> forum.
> # Subscribe at the sub-forum level and you get everything from that
> sub-forum.
> # Subscribe at the topic level and you get everything from that topic.
>
> What I pointed out somewhere this morning, is that having subscribed
> at the forum level, it does not switch on subscription at a lower
> level and you'll still appear unscribied if you check the [Option]
> button at the lower level. Nevertheless you will be receiving messages
> posted at that level, because of your higher level subscription.

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

Hi Paul,

On 27 Sep 10 16:16 "adminHBBR [via HBBR Forum]"
<[hidden email]> said:
> we need to update the How to I Subscribe by Email sticky.

Agreed, but I couldn't edit someone else's post yesterday, with Admin
privileges, and can't delete it today. As moderator, all I can do
is move it.

The best I can do is post a second message and leave you to delete
your version and pin mine.

(Just about to leave my computer for a few hours, so nothing instant
either!)

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

Test post via email, please ignore.

Hoping for calm nights

Al,

Re: email subscription/posting still strange

Greg

I contributed to an ongoing topic on the Nabble support forum about moderators/admin editing posts. It appears it is not possible. I stated in no uncertain terms that it was essential!

The upgrade from Nabble 1 to Nabble 2 was in July 2008, so development is ongoing. Its not as stable as phbb but you get what you pay for!

I think we will have to patient on some features and devise our own workarounds and work flow.