jay cole

jfcsparks jfcsparks

jay cole

Greetings from the south Dorset coast!
I am just about to embark on my first boat build, which will be loosely based on a Gavin Atkin light trow design. The raw materials are, for the most part, scraps that I have salvaged from my work on construction sites, although being an electrician, my trade won't be much of a help! I may well be on a direct course to disaster, but I am looking forward to "having a go". And if all goes to plan, I will have myself a fishing boat at the end!

Re: jay cole

Emjoy the build, the Light Trow has been proved to be a very capable craft.

As well as the strips of ply you can scrounge from sites do hang on to the tag ends of twin and earth... stripped of the sheathing it's really useful wire for stitching the panels together.

Tim.

On 21 Apr 2014, at 21:11, jfcsparks [via UK HBBR Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Greetings from the south Dorset coast!
I am just about to embark on my first boat build, which will be loosely based on a Gavin Atkin light trow design. The raw materials are, for the most part, scraps that I have salvaged from my work on construction sites, although being an electrician, my trade won't be much of a help! I may well be on a direct course to disaster, but I am looking forward to "having a go". And if all goes to plan, I will have myself a fishing boat at the end!

http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/jay-cole-tp4027508.html
To start a new topic under HBBR Meetings, email [hidden email]

Re: jay cole

Timmo wrote
As well as the strips of ply you can scrounge from sites do hang on to the tag ends of twin and earth... stripped of the sheathing it's really useful wire for stitching the panels together.

Tim.
I didn't think of this.  We must have chucked loads of it in the skip when doing second fix on our new build a few weeks ago......................
jfcsparks jfcsparks

Re: jay cole

Although T&E is in plentiful supply, I am thinking of using screws and chine logs. I did say "loosely based" :-)

Re: jay cole

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum.
I've followed Ben Crawshaw's exploits with On A Wind Blue for a long time, she's a very capable wee boat, i'm sure you'll have lots of fun with yours.
Building with chine logs is probably a good idea, it should produce a sturdy hull, and saves having to use all that tape. I'd imagine you'll need some sort of building jig to hold it all together until the hull has some form.
Good luck and post lots of photos.
Graham.
jfcsparks jfcsparks

Re: jay cole

I've read Ben's "Invisible Workshop" from start to finish, after following the link from Gavin's intheboatshed.net site. It's a great read and Ben is a bit of an inspiration. I'm not sure that I would have the guts to take on the international cruises that he does!
The light trow is based on the Fleet Trow,which is a vessel peculiar to the bit of water behind the Chesil Beach, which is behind my house, so I have a bit of a link to it already.